Saturday, July 21, 2012

Two new events

The title could also be written "too new", but we will get to that later.  The first item of great interest is that we will most likely be signing on a house in Kaysville at the end of July.  We are pretty excited, and I am sure we are going to be asking many of you for help (shameless plug).

The second item is that we have a new member of our family.  We are just as surprised as you are to hear this news.  Early Friday morning Ba noticed some leaking, so she went to the doctor when the office opened up.  At LDS hospital, the doctors verified that her water was broken.  LDS does not have the facilities to take newborns under 32 weeks and we are at 31.  Our insurance is not accepted at the University hospital, so we were sent down to Murray.  The doctors gave the baby some steroids to help develop his lungs and that helped greatly down the road.  Ba also received a priesthood blessing that we are certain was helpful in this whole process.  We got to Murray around 3:00 pm and nothing was happening which is what the doctors wanted. Until about 10:00pm… 

Ry’s perspective:  I took LE home and put her to bed in the evening and felt I should head back to the hospital.  About 2min before the sitter arrived in Bountiful for LE, a nurse called me and said Ba was having some very severe contractions and was going to receive a C-section to get the baby out.  I drove very fast to the hospital (and if I say very fast, you know that is cookin’) and I may have not obeyed several traffic signals.  Once I arrived I put on some fancy gowns, and watched from a distance as the doctors worked on Ba.  They finally let me go into the room, and I realized that she wasn’t cut wide open, and actually delivered naturally.  This is quite a relieve as far as recovery time goes for Ba.  After being with Ba for about 2min they kicked me out of the room and made me wait for 45min until she was all done.

Ba’s perspective: The doctors checked me at 10:12pm and I was dilated to 1 cm which is technically not in labor.  Shortly after being checked my contractions became very heavy and uncomfortable.  I called the nurse to tell her things were getting rough.  Once they arrived at 10:40 they found I had progressed to a 6 cm.  This is when you are in active labor, and they said I needed to have a C-section because the baby was breached.  I heard an announcement over the intercom for “all hands on deck”.  As they were prepping for the C-section, I thought I needed to push, and the nurses told me to hold back.  I was wheeled into the ER and the babies bottom was poking out.  I heard the doctor say “No C-section today, the baby is on its way.”  The baby was born at 10:50 and I was at a 10 cm.  There were shrapnel pieces of the placenta left so I needed a DC done, and they gave me a spinal tap to do it, but the baby was born natural without any anesthetics.

Bean was born on July 20 (9 weeks early), and weighs in at a husky 3 lbs 13 oz, and 17.5” long.  He has “old man hair” that is brown, and he seems to like hanging out in the Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU).  He first received oxygen and had this soapy foam stuff to inflate his lungs, but he took that off and decided he didn’t need it anymore.  He can breathe on his own which is nice.  Some other major concerns right now are that his immune and digestive systems develop properly.  He might also have some vision issues, but glasses are a great invention.  It is a slow process and we have been told to expect him in the NICU until his mid September due date.  We will have to change our budget for gas money for a little while.

 Baby with oxygen hook up.

 Baby body size compared to Ry's ring.  It could work as a bracelet.

We like to do this with LE where she holds both our fingers and we swing her around.  We will forgo the swinging for a while.

This will be his substitute for the womb for the next two months?

14 comments:

  1. He is so cute and looks great!!! Brianna, you look awesome also. I am glad to hear that you didn't have to have a c-section. We hope he continues to get strong and are excited to see him sometime!!! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I'm glad everyone is okay! Now that is one cute boy! Tiny and perfect! I would love to help with Ellie! Seriously, I'll be texting to help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow! We're glad that everything went as well as it did. We hope that little guy grows like a champ and gets to leave sooner than expected. Wish we were closer and could help, but will keep you in our prayers. PS Congrats on the pending house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad he and Brianna are okay! What a scary thing. My brother and his wife delivered their baby girl at 32 weeks last summer--if you are remotely interested in reading about their experience you can check out their blog: http://gookumpucky.blogspot.com/2011/07/unexpected-delivery_02.html She is now a healthy 1 year old. Hope everything continues to go well! We'll keep you in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the picture of him holding your fingers and am so glad he can breathe on his own--that is HUGE!! Brianna looks great and I hope she is recovering well. For such a thin guy he is pretty tall ;). Sounds like he takes after his dad. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have so much to say but I don't know what to say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. p.s. My kids think he is way cute and Matthew is sure the pictures are of Katelyn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! Yay for going natural, sad that he came so early, but glad he is progressing. Brianna, you look amazing! Praying that he won't have to stay so long in the NICU. Good luck you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's hard to imagine how tiny he is, the ring pic helped, but I still can't comprehend it. Thanks for posting pics. That is great that he is breathing on his own! Hope he continues to wow us with his progress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is the cutest littlest baby I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! What a story! I'm glad you didn't have to have a c-section. Lydia was 3 lb 12 oz. Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is incredible. Congratulations you two. He is such an adorable little miracle. I hope everything goes well and doesn't have to stay in the NICU for very long. That would be so difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an experience! I'm praying for you and hoping your sweet boy will have a quick hospital stay! What great parents you are!

    ReplyDelete